The weakness of the mobile phone has been on the rise exponentially as its sale and usability combined with dependency. The OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project) has identified ten Security’ risks due to an increase in vulnerability.
Found below are these vulnerabilities according to OWASP top 10 and how to solve them?
M1: Improper Platform usage:
Improper Platform usage, are difficult to detect, can often occur and deliver an impact. It arises as the OS is misused or negligent in utilizing controls provided by the security
The risks involved are:
- Communication happens in the OS, which is caused by leaked data through Android Intent Exploitation. As intents generally are constant, data leakage creeps up higher.
- Intents contain lot of information, and the apps are designed in the Android World to steal from them. Such apps manage to sniff out user information and URL patterns when they are in transit.
- Keychain passwords that are created by the iOS itself are hard to break. If the user decides to break the keychain and choose his passwords, the hacker can easily crack them.
- Mobile apps can be controlled with Touch ID options for authentication purposes. In case the user bypasses it hacking becomes easier.
- Store encrypted keys in a separate device and block them from entering route of the server
- Decide beforehand the applications which are capable of communicating with the other applications
- M2: Data storage considered insecure:
A customer or user only loses his personal information when the app is hacked. App developer’s loss is more since the integrity on the whole app is compromised with his reputation too.
This is data kept in various locations of the device, including caches, etc. Unsecured data results from the Developer’s ignorance, which ignores and bypasses security checks, and the unwillingness to document it. Hackers now have access to such data and would manipulate them.
- OWASP top 10 suggests vulnerable app usage like iGoat and experience threat models.
- Suggestion to employ ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and check on app’s permissibility under the adversary’s radar.
M3. Communication that is Insecure
- Due to insecure WI-Fi and including the ones compromised information becomes easy to tap and steal.
- Poor process of validating” SSL/ TLS as authenticated ones by the mobile developers attracts MITM attackers.
- On the same note, the entire website is prone to hacking if the communication, which is insecure data, is stolen from the administrator’s account.
M4: Authentication insecure:
The app makers limit authentication passwords from four to six digits, making it easier for hackers to break into mobiles. Added to this are developers allowing an off-line or online process for authentication of the session?
- Authentication which is unreliable can impact technically as they fail to prove the credentials of the users in the best way possible.
- Never allow storage of passwords along with Security keys in mobile storage.
- Never compromise on user’s security unless the authentication has been received from the server for further data uploading.
M5: Cryptography that is Insufficient:
- An untested process encryption/ Decryption along with algorithm infirmities are enough fodder for the adversaries to do their job.
- Android along with iOS allows for encryption by certifying it through sources well trusted. The same is decrypted upon checking the signature, which is encrypted.
Unfortunately, a lot of bypassing is made.
- Developers who handle such vital keys of encryption largely end up mishandling it which is what the hackers want.
For app encryption, adopt modern Algorithm techniques.
M6: Improper authorization creating insecurity
M4 risk is often confused with risk caused by M6 as both involve authentic credentials.
- When the hacker assumes a form of the legal user, his immediate objective would be to take control over admin commands called M6 risk. Even in off-line conditions, binary attacks on the binary system are possible.
- When the attacker triggers references that are insecure called IDOR, databases access is possible resulting in complete destabilization of the Operating software.
- User privileges to be continuously tested.
M7: Code Quality is poor
Inconsistencies are created in coding as several people are working on the same. The final results fall short of the mark, and proper documentation is not possible. On the other hand, even hackers cannot break through poor coding.
- An application which is secure in browsers can be compromised by code created in the mobile. As a result information about the user would be compromised.
- Developers combine popular libraries within their applications. Hence App owners face a problem of security.
- Applications are sometimes specialized ones like made to order, and attack by hacker’s content provider through which insecure information can be obtained.
- Mobile device code to be re-written.
- Prevent memory siphoning through static analysis.
- Do not develop logic codes that are simple
- Third-party libraries list can be drawn up.
M8: Tampering with the code
- Malware infusion would be downloaded into the device.
- Creation of artificial theft of data scenarios.
- Development of code by the developers should be able to automatically detect any changes that may occur during run-time.
- Check for file tampering by employing methods of checksums and if found so the signatures digital in nature should be subject to revaluation.
M9- Process of Reversing the Engineering:
Risks exist in such a process which is:
- Competitors who are engaged with the same application are well equipped to identify similar functions and copy them
- Important features can also be hacked by changing or bypassing the process of authentication.
- Engage similar tools that a hacker would employ
- Adopt the process of code obfuscation.
- Apply C language and C++ languages, which would prevent any kind of manipulation.
Test code Functionality:
The team develops certain codes for error analyzing and test information.
- The user should be ignorant to the existence of such codes and their availability of it. If the codes exist it becomes easy for the hacker to gain access
- Destroy the code after the final stage
Found above are the security solutions for both iOS and Android apps on mobiles. If the Developers follow these, there is specific protection against the OWASP Top 10 Mobile threats.